Dalian Port ( Chinese:大连港 ) is located in Dalian City in Northeast China. Established in 1899, the port was once an ice-free port competed by Russia and Japan, and its strategic position is very important. It is also China’s military port, one of the berthing ports of Chinese aircraft carriers.
It is also the largest multi-purpose port in Northeast China, serving North Asia, East Asia and Pacific Rim ports. It is the trade gateway from Northeast China to the Pacific Ocean.
In 2015, Dalian Port had a water area of 346 square kilometers, a core port area of about 18 square kilometers, and a bonded port area of 6.88 square kilometers.
In 2017, the cargo throughput of Dalian Port was 451 million tons.
7 years of Tsarist Russia rule
- 1896: During the Sino-Russian War, China failed. According to the terms of the “Sino-Russian Secret Treaty”, Dalian Bay was divided by Tsarist Russia.
- March 1898: Dalian Bay was taken as its own due to the signing of the “Lvda Land Lease Treaty” between Russia and China.
- 1899: Tsarist Russia began to build Dalian Commercial Port.
- 1904: After the Russo-Japanese War, Dalian Port was occupied by Japanese troops.
Soviet Union period
- 1945: Dalian Port was taken over by the Soviet Red Army.
New China period
- 1951: The Soviet Army officially handed over Dalian Port to the Chinese government.
- 1976: Dalian Port built China’s first large-scale crude oil export terminal in Catfish Bay, and Dalian Port began large-scale construction.
- In the 1980s, Dalian Port expanded the Xianglujiao port area, and opened up the Monk Island and Dayaowan deep-water port areas.
- 1992: 4 large container and general berths in Dayao Bay of Dalian Port were put into production.
- 2001: Dalian Port entered the ranks of China’s 7 billion-ton large ports.
- 2003: The State Council of China approved the pilot program of the Dalian Port Free Trade Zone.
New port area
- July 28, 2005: The old port area of Dalian Port began to be relocated and reconstructed.
- November 21, 2007: The relocation and demolition project of Dalian Port was completed.
- October 18, 2018: The Dalian Port-Liaoning-China-Europe Express train opened.
- April 12, 2019: Dalian Port was included in the list of China’s industrial heritage protection.
Dalian Shipbuilding Industry Group Co., Ltd. is located in Dalian Port and has two shipyards in Dalian Port. China’s first Liaoning aircraft carrier was processed at the Dalian Shipyard.
As of July 2019, Dalian Port has more than 100 modern professional berths for containers, crude oil, refined oil, bulk mines, grain, coal, ro-ro, etc., and more than 70 berths above 10,000 tons.
As of July 2019, Dalian Port has a 350,000-ton professional ore terminal, a 150,000-ton water transfer terminal, and a 550,000 square meter rear yard, which can store 8.5 million tons of ore at a time.
According to the official website of Dalian Port in May 2020, Dalian Port is mainly engaged in the loading and unloading of crude oil, refined oil and liquid chemicals, storage and transportation services, and passenger transportation services.
Passenger and cargo volume
- In 2010, Dalian Port completed a cargo throughput of 30083 million tons.
- In 2012, Dalian Port achieved a total cargo throughput of 374 million tons.
- In 2013, Dalian Port achieved a total cargo throughput of 408 million tons, and a container throughput exceeded 10 million TEUs.
- In 2014, Dalian Port actually completed a cargo throughput of 351 million tons and a container throughput of 10.01 million.
- In 2015, Dalian Port achieved a total cargo throughput of 415 million tons.
- In 2016, Dalian seaport achieved a cargo throughput of 75.427 million tons.
- In 2017, Dalian Port achieved a cargo throughput of 451 million tons.
Dalian Port Data
- East Asia
- In use
- Official name
- Other name
- Dalian Port
- Dalian Bay, Dalian City, Liaoning Province, China
- China Dalian Port Group Co., Ltd.
- Sea area
- Yellow Sea
- Port type
- Deepwater seaport
- Port code
- 21000600(JT/T 24-2015), CNDAG(GBT15514-2015)
- Water area
- 346 km² (2015)
- Size of port
- 18 km² (2015)
- Annual container volume
- 9.7 million TEU (2018)
- Annual cargo tonnage
- 451 million tons (2017)
- Year of opening
View Dalian Port on Google Satellite Map
Google satellite maps allow you to see building details more clearly, including natural landscapes such as mountains, rivers, deserts, sea and man-made engineering buildings.
If you are very interested in this engineering building, it is a good idea to click below Google Map icon. We will help you jump to the corresponding location of this building or engineering on Google satellite map.