Laxiwa Dam (Chinese:拉西瓦水坝) is located in Laxiwa Town, Guide County, Qinghai Province, and is built on the Yellow River.
The largest dam of Laxiwa Hydropower Station is 250 meters high and has 1.079 billion cubic meters of total storage capacity. The facility has six 700 MW turbines for power generation with a total capacity of 4,200 MW. The average annual power generation capacity is 10.223 billion kWh. The total investment is 14.9 billion yuan (US $2.2) billion ).
The power station closed the river in 2004 and began excavation of the dam abutment. It has now been completed and generated electricity. Laxiwa Hydropower Station is the largest hydropower station and clean energy base on the Yellow River. It is also the hydropower station with the highest dam, the largest installed capacity, and the Yellow River Basin’s largest power generation.
In April 2009, the first two power station units were put into operation for power generation. 79,571,000 m³ (2.8100×109 cu ft) of earth and stone were excavated from the dam site.
- On December 28, 2002: construction of the diversion tunnel of Laxiwa Hydropower Station began.
- At the beginning of 2004: the Yellow River was diverted, and excavation on the dam’s piers began in September of that year.
- On October 8, 2005: the excavation of the left abutment of the dam was completed.
- On April 15, 2006: the first batch of concrete was poured into the main dam.
- On May 18, 2009: the first two generators of the power plant were put into use.
- In August 2010: all five units of the first Laxiwa Hydropower Station phase were officially connected to the power generation grid.
- In 2012: the construction of Laxiwa Hydropower Station was completed.
Laxiwa Dam Data
- East Asia
- In use
- Official name
- Other name
- Laxiwa Hydropower Station, 拉西瓦大坝
- Guide County, Qinghai, China
- Upper Yellow River Hydropower Development Company, Ltd
- 14.9 billion yuan ( US $2.2 billion )
- Dec-28, 2002
- Dam height
- 820 ft (250 m )
- Dam Length
- 1509 ft (460 m )
- Building Volume
- 3,681,800 m³ (130,020,000 cu ft)
- Type of dam
- Arch dam
- Installed capacity
- 6 × 700MW
- Yellow River
- Reservoi name
- Laxiwa Reservoir
- Total capacity
- 1,079,000,000 m³ (875,000 acre⋅ft)
View Laxiwa Dam on Google Satellite Map
Google satellite maps allow you to see building details more clearly, including natural landscapes such as mountains, rivers, deserts, sea and man-made engineering buildings.
If you are very interested in this engineering building, it is a good idea to click below Google Map icon. We will help you jump to the corresponding location of this building or engineering on Google satellite map.