Jinping-II Dam ( Chinese:锦屏二级水电站 )is located in Sichuan Province in western China and is built on the Jinping River, a tributary of Yalong. It is the largest hydropower station on the Yalong River, with an installed capacity of 4,800 MW, a total investment of 29.7 billion yuan (US $4.3 billion), and an average annual power generation capacity 24.99 billion kW.h.
The main project of the power station started construction in January 2007. The last unit was put into operation on November 29, 2014, and Jinping-II Dam’s construction was completed.
- The 1960s: The Sichuan and Shanghai Design Institutes planned the project and the Ministry of Water Resources and Electric Power.
- July 1965: The headquarters of Jinping Hydropower Project was established. The design of Jinping No. 1 and Jinping No. 2 will be carried out by East China Survey and Design Institute.
- May 1991: China Water Resources and Hydropower Planning and Design Institute held a site selection meeting in Chengdu.
- December 1992: The feasibility study report of the hydropower station was completed.
- November 2001: East China College completed the “Preliminary Design Report of Jinping Auxiliary Tunnel” and planned two hydropower stations. The two planned projects are Jinping 1 and Jinping 2, with a total installed capacity of 8,400 MW.
- April 2002: The preliminary design report of Jinping II Hydropower Station was passed.
- January 30, 2007: Jinping-II Dam started construction.
- June 6, 2011: the excavation of the No. 1 diversion tunnel’s upper steps was completed.
- August 16, 2011: the excavation of the upper steps of the No. 2 diversion tunnel was completed;
- August 28, 2011: the construction drainage tunnel was fully completed.
- September 29, 2011: the first generator set began hoisting construction.
- December 30, 2012: the first unit of the dam successfully generated electricity. The second unit was put into use in January 2013. The fifth generator went online in May 2014. The seventh generator went online in October 2014.
- July 2014: Jinping-I was fully put into use.
- November 26, 2014: the eighth and last generator of Jinping-II was put into use.
Jinping-II Dam is mainly composed of low sluices, discharge structures, water diversion and power generation systems, etc. The 4 diversion tunnels are about 16.6 kilometers long on average, and the excavation diameter is 13 meters. The total investment is 29.7 billion yuan (US $4.3 billion ), and the total construction period is 8 years and 3 months.
Jinping-II Dam Data
- East Asia
- In use
- Official name
- Other name
- Jinping-II Hydropower Station
- Yanyuan County and Muli Tibetan Autonomous County, Sichuan, China
- Yalong River Hydropower Development Company, Ltd.
- 29.7 billion yuan ( US $4.3 billion )
- Dam height
- 121 ft (37 m )
- Dam Length
- 531 ft (162 m )
- Hydraulic head
- 310 m (1,020 ft)
- Type of dam
- Gravity dam
- Installed capacity
- 8 × 600 MW
- Yalong River
- Reservoi name
- Jinping-II Reservoir
- Total capacity
- 14,280,000 m³ (11,580 acre⋅ft)
- Active capacity
- 5,020,000 m³ (4,070 acre⋅ft)
- Catchment area
- 102,663 km² (39,638 sq mi)
View Jinping-II Dam on Google Satellite Map
Google satellite maps allow you to see building details more clearly, including natural landscapes such as mountains, rivers, deserts, sea and man-made engineering buildings.
If you are very interested in this engineering building, it is a good idea to click below Google Map icon. We will help you jump to the corresponding location of this building or engineering on Google satellite map.